Support to the Development of Red Bridge Border Crossing Point between Azerbaijan and Georgia
Azerbaijan and Georgia are located on the crossroads of Europe and Asia, and the Red Bridge BCP is the main crossing point between them and, to a large extent, between the two regions. The Republic of Azerbaijan lies on a strategically important crossroad within the scope of geographical location in relation to international trade and transport corridor. Efficient development of transit area, integration into global economy, development of transit links is one the main priorities of the economic policy of the Azerbaijan Republic.
Customs control in Azerbaijan is managed by the State Customs Committee, whose main priorities are trade facilitation and security of the supply chain. Since 2008, it has been charged with border veterinary and phyto-sanitary inspections at BCPs. A modernised customs code (developed with support of the EU) was adopted in 2012. By 2013, the Government of Azerbaijan has modernised all five BCPs in line with these principles. At the moment, the SCC is implementing the Action Plan on the Development of the State Customs Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan for 2012-2016. Two of its main priorities focus on:
- Follow-up to the building of border customs check-points in line with international standards;
- Establishment of customs warehouses and temporary storages and construction of customs terminals.
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to facilitation of the movement of goods across border between Georgia and Azerbaijan, while at the same time maintaining secure borders through the enhancement of bilateral and multilateral co-operation among the target countries, and EU Member States. A key focus of the project will be sanitary and phyto-sanitary measures, as these aspects are increasingly important to both countries.
Specific objectives of the project are to support institutional development and capacity building of the Georgian RS and SCC of Azerbaijan, including building capacity to carry out SPS controls and exchange of information as appropriate as well as to improve their operational capacities through provision of better infrastructure and modern technology.
- Strengthened Cooperation among the Azerbaijan SCC and Georgian RS
- Improved capacity of both Azerbaijani SCC and Georgian RS in the management of SPS related issues through strengthening systematic SPS control;
- Improved secure traffic flow on the Azerbaijani side of the Red Bridge achieved through improved SPS controls of Azerbaijani SCC and the establishment of fenced-off control area according to the baseline indicators and statistical info provided by SCC;
- Improved secure traffic flow on the Georgian side of Red Bridge achieved through improved SPS inspection facilities according to the baseline indicators and statistical info provided by RS.
|Amount of Contribution, USD|
Delivery by years
|Fiscal year||Amount of Disbursement, USD|