Mr. Vugar Allahverdiyev, Programme Adviser, firstname.lastname@example.org
Creating New Platforms to Support Active Youth Engagement in Global Policy Debates
Growing number and size of the youth has brought about the necessity of creating new paradigms at local, regional and international levels on working with and for the young people.
Such efforts followed the appointment of first-ever Envoy on Youth by the Secretary General, calling upon UN member states to support the work of the Office of the Youth Envoy. Given the urgency of addressing the challenges hindering the development and participation of youth, the Government of Azerbaijan was among the first to respond to this call by stating its readiness to support and host the First Global Youth Policy Forum- an initiative proposed by the Office of the Youth Envoy.
The Government of Azerbaijan is interested in creating new platforms for youth from all countries for their active engagement in global policy debates. Apart from all achievements in its national youth policy, Azerbaijan is a perfect fit for hosting First Global Youth Policy Forum that is planned in October 2014. The Government is also dedicated to support the UN led initiatives aimed at promoting UN values among youth from Azerbaijan and other countries through supporting Model UN events.
UNDP in partnership with UNESCO, Council of Europe and the Office of the Secretary General Envoy on Youth have pledged to join forces in organization of this event. They will partner with regional youth networks/NGOs and youth policy oriented think tanks to collect the database on national youth policies that will be made available prior to the Forum.
The primary objective of the project is to support the Office of the Secretary General’s Envoy on Youth in preparing for and conducting First Global Youth Policy Forum in the 4th quarter of 2014.
- The forum will be the first global gathering of hundreds of experts, researchers, officials, and youth involved on youth polices development.
- The aim of the forum is to build a community of experts to help future national youth policy developments.
- It will focus on the opportunities provided by inclusive and participatory public policies on youth, as well as the challenges affecting their formulation and implementation.
- It will address the question of what are the key elements and criteria in the development and the implementation of a National Policy on Youth that can ensure increased effectiveness and inclusiveness, as well as greater accountability.
The secondary objective of the project is to support the institutionalization of the Model UN in Azerbaijan.
- Creation of national Model UN mechanism or network associated with UNDPI;
- Delivering financial means to support the participation of national youth in international MUN initiatives;
- Organizing national MUN and one international MUN by the end of Year 2 of the project implementation.
Natural partners for this project will be the Ministry of Education, universities, and UNDPI and local youth NGOs.
- The National Secretariat of the First Global Forum on Youth Policy was formed.
- International consultant was selected and started her first visit to Baku. • The concept of Forum was developed.
- Invitation to participant countries are being send based on the list of world youth ministers prepared by National Secretariat and partners.
- The website as well as social media accounts is being developed.
|Donors||Amount of Distribution, USD|
|Government||1 279 460|
Delivery by years
|Fiscal Year||Amount of Disbursement, USD|
- Project Start Date
- April, 2014
- Estimated Project End Date
- December, 2014
- Geographic coverage
- Focus Area
- Democratic Governance