Mr. Vugar Allahverdiyev, Programme Adviser, email@example.com
Azerbaijan’s First Biennial Update Report to the UNFCC
Azerbaijan ratified the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in 1995. Despite the fact that the country has not taken any qualitative obligations, Azerbaijan has committed to develop, implement and publish national and regional reports which would include mitigation measures. In this regards, Azerbaijan has developed and submitted to the secretariat its First National Communication in 2000 and Phase 2 report related to technological needs assessment in 2001. Second National Communication was developed and submitted to the secretariat in 2010. Currently, the Third National Communication is under preparation and it is planned for submission in March 2015.
The ongoing process for preparation of the Third National Communication to the UNFCCC aims to strengthen the information base, analytical and institutional capacity of the key national institutions to integrate climate change priorities into country development strategies and relevant sector programs. The process for development of the TNC shall further strengthen the dialogue, information exchange and cooperation among all relevant stakeholders including governmental, non-governmental, academic, and private sectors. It is expected that this will result in achieving national consensus on the actions and measures that need to be undertaken to address the climate change related issues relevant for the country on a short and long term. The Third National Communication will be submitted to the UNFCCC by the March of 2015.
Azerbaijan’s First Biennial Update Report will build on the findings and recommendations of the Third National Communication, as well as the outcomes of the ongoing complementary projects in the country.
The goal of the project is to assist the country in mainstreaming and integration of climate change consideration into national and sectoral development policies by giving continuity to the institutional and technical capacity strengthening process, partly initiated and sustained by the National Communications.
The immediate objective of the project is to assist the country in the preparation and submission of its First Biennial Update Report to the Conference of the Parties to the UNFCCC for the fulfillment of its obligations to the Convention under Dec. 1/CP. 16 par. 60 and Dec 2/CP. 17 par. 41 and it’s Annex III.
The project outcomes are:
1. National circumstances and institutional arrangements relevant to the preparation of the national communications updated;
2. GHG inventory for 2005-2010 prepared, and inventories for the period 1990 - 2005 recalculated, using the UNFCCC recommended IPCC 2006 software;
3. Mitigation actions and their effects, including associated methodologies and assumptions, and progress of implementation are described as per the guidelines;
4. Constraints and gaps identified; related financial, technology and capacity building needs assessed; and recommendation for addressing the needs provided;
5. Establishment of domestic Measurement, Reporting and Verification arrangements supported;
6. Compilation, consolidation of information in tabular format and publication of the First Biennial Update Report;
7. Monitoring, reporting, and preparing of financial audits.
- The project office was set up and project personnel was recruited;
- Short term Local experts were recruited for the fulfillment of the outcomes, which are in line with the GEF’s climate change mitigation strategic objective (SO-6) under GEF-5: Enabling Activities: Support enabling activities and capacity building under the Convention;
- Tender for International Expert on Monitoring Reporting and Verification (MRV) was announced.
|Donors||Amount of Contribution, USD|
|Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources||71 000|
Delivery by years
|Fiscal year||Amount of Disbursement, USD|
- Project Start Date
- August, 2013
- Estimated Project End Date
- December, 2014
- Geographic coverage
- Focus Area
- Sustainable Development