Mr. Chingiz Mammadov, Senior Programme Advisor firstname.lastname@example.org
National Biodiversity Planning to Support the implementation of the CBD's Strategic Plan in Azerbaijan
This project is part of the second generation of Biodiversity Enabling Activities (BD EA) under the GEF. Azerbaijan has been Party to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) since 08/03/2000. Azerbaijan had prepared already its 4th National Report on Biodiversity and the 1st National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (NBSAP). On the 10th meeting of Member States conducted on October 18-29 2010 in Aichi District of Nagoya city of Japan the updated Strategic Plan, including Aichi Targets on Biodiversity for the years 2011-2020 have been adopted. In accordance with the decision of Member States in Aichi, each country should develop its national targets in response to the global Aichi targets. Thus, the project addresses the country’s need to continue to fulfill its obligations under the CBD and implement them. In particular, the 2nd NBSAP and the 5th National Report for Azerbaijan will be prepared.
The project builds on the current status and achievements of Azerbaijan with respect to biodiversity planning and reporting. It aims to integrate Azerbaijan’s obligations under the CBD into its national development and sectoral planning frameworks through a renewed and participative ‘biodiversity planning’ and strategizing process. This process is expected to produce measurable targets for biodiversity conservation and sustainable use. It will equally ensure that the value of ecosystems’ goods and services, as well as the challenges and opportunities for ecosystem-based adaptation and resilience are taken into consideration in the process.
The project will achieve its objective through the implementation of three components, whose activities are thoroughly described in the Project Document approved both by GEF and UNDP and jointly funded by them.
They are the followings:
- A participative stocktaking exercise on biodiversity planning takes place and national biodiversity targets are developed in response to the global Aichi Targets;
- The 5th National Reporting and the 2nd NBSAP are revised/updated and fully integrate new aspects of the CBD strategic plan, such as mainstreaming and anchoring the implementation of the plan into national development frameworks, valuing ecosystem services and promoting ecosystem-based adaptation and resilience; and
- National frameworks for resource mobilization, Convention reporting and exchange mechanisms are strengthened.
- A Team of international and local experts have been formed to work on the project
- The work on the 5th National Report on Biodiversity has been launched and is planned to be finalized and presented to the CBD Secretariat in March 2014.
- National Workshop with the participation of all major stakeholders was held in August 2013, which set the stage for the 5th National Report and the 2nd NBSAP preparation.
|Donors||Amount of contribution, USD|
Delivery by years
|Fiscal year||Amount of disbursement, USD|
- Project Start Date
- January 2013
- Estimated End Date
- Geographic coverage
- Focus Area
- Sustainable Development
- MDG 7: Ensure environmental sustainability