Government of Turkey and UNDP Sign Agreement to Open Regional Centre for Europe and CIS in Istanbul
NEW YORK – Today, on the margins of the General Assembly High Level segment, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Administrator Helen Clark and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkey, Ahmet Davutoglu, signed a Memorandum of Understanding to open UNDP’s Regional Service Centre for Europe and CIS in Istanbul, Turkey.
“UNDP is locating its Regional Service Centre for Europe and the CIS in Istanbul following a very thorough analysis of the costs and benefits,” Helen Clark said. “A very important benefit will come from UNDP’s co-location in Istanbul with key UN partners - including UN Women and UNFPA –which will improve co-ordination and harmonization within the UN development system.”
The selection of Istanbul as a new location for the Centre reflects the city’s central location within the region and Turkey’s increasing role on the international stage.
Foreign Minister Davutoglu, said that the Turkish Government looks forward to the opening of the Regional Centre, set to take part in stages starting already in January 2014. “We believe that Istanbul’s location at the heart of the region is highly strategic,” he said. “Turkey looks forward to engaging ever more closely with UNDP and the broader UN system through the Regional Centre.”
UNDP’s Regional Service Centre provides technical and policy advice to governments and development partners across the region, working with national and international partners, and connecting people to knowledge. It works to foster the inclusion of marginalized people into economic, social and political life; empower people by promoting governance and human rights; and promote alternative energy while reducing our carbon footprint.
UNDP New York: Christina LoNigro, email@example.com,+1 2129065301
- 05 May 2016:Project on development of Border Crossing Point between Azerbaijan and Georgia launched
- 05 May 2016:Ghulam M. Isaczai's speech at the launching ceremony of "Support to the Development of Red Bridge Border Crossing Point Between Azerbaijan and Georgia" project
- 28 Apr 2016:New project to support youth employment in Azerbaijan signed
- 13 Apr 2016:Training held for State Border Service representatives
- 12 Apr 2016:Public Hearings on Civil Service Code Draft Held