Azerbaijan is closely involved in the global development initiatives of the international community, including the United Nations (UN). In October 2016, the President of Azerbaijan signed a decree establishing the National Coordination Council for Sustainable Development (NCCSD) chaired by the Deputy Prime Minister. This marks a significant step towards integrating Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into national development agenda in Azerbaijan. Policy documents and roadmaps have been developed to support Azerbaijan's development trajectory to support its ambitions. However, prioritization and the nationalization of the SDGs do not happen automatically and would require dedicated efforts of many development stakeholders. Developing policy coherence for sustainable development takes time and engagement with appropriate tools and capacity development to influence public policy even further.
The project's aim is to facilitate a gradual move from defining general frameworks for the national SDG Agenda based on the analysis of existing national programs towards better understanding of the ways national SDGs could be achieved. Another goal is providing a foundation for development policy and planning in Azerbaijan up to 2030. The project's objectives will be achieved through the implementation of three interlinked components, outputs and activities:
- Component 1. Promoting policies responsive to Azerbaijan’s needs;
- Component 2. Strengthening data and capacities for evidence based feedback on SDGs;
- Component 3. Knowledge sharing, reporting and SDG engagement.
- SDG Prioritization and localization workshop focusing on the Leave No One Behind principle and gender equality was held.
- The Online SDG portal was upgraded.
- The first SDG Regional Forum in Azerbaijan was supported and conducted.
- South-South Exchange on SDG was facilitated at the SDG Regional Forum.
- An Innovation Contest for private sector, CSOs and other stakeholders on SDG implementation with a focus on Leave No One Behind and gender equality in Azerbaijan was organised.